Saturday, January 5, 2008

On Fatherhood

I probably don't have much time to write this, as it's my shift with the baby and though she's dozing quietly at the moment, it's sure not to last very long - especially considering that I have a post in mind to write. But whatever.



Even if that's not the case though, and she continues to slumber, I'd much rather she were doing so in my arms. I love my baby girl more than anyone could have predicted. She's better than a Lego/Star Wars game designed for the original NES that comes in a package with a coupon on the back for a free can of German beer to drink while playing it.

I love her that much. Maybe even more. That's sort of what I wanted to post about. Over the past 8 months I've had so many people exclaim how this would change my life, and I always took that to mean "more work", "less sleep", and "poopy diapers". How wrong was I? There are those things, sure, but more than that there's this new passion within me that makes me not care about the fatigue or the smell.

I don't even really care that I'm typing one handed currently (frustratingly slow), as I'm cuddling my baby in my other arm. Where my life-stylephilosophy used to be "What can I do for myself without putting others out?" it's swiftly become "what can I do for my daughter? - and nobody better get in my way."


Only now do I realize this is what people were talking about. It's going to be a great 20 or so years, I'd imagine.

3 comments:

Suzi said...

As somebody finishing up those 20 or so years, I am so completely envious of you, having all those baby/toddler/little kid/big kid/teenager/young adult years ahead. And I know you have to think that your particular baby is cute because you're her daddy, but I am telling your from a completely unbiased standpoint that she is gorgeous! You should make some more of those.

Mandora the Explorer said...

She really IS the cutest baby ever, isn't she?

Derek said...

It really doesn't end after 20 years... Once you're a Dad, you'll ALWAYS be a Dad. It's an awesome feeling that stays with you.

And then there's the Grandkids. they're just as amazing!

You and Manda have a lot of good times to look forward to.
Enjoy!