Sunday, December 16, 2007

I love the smell of commerce in the morning.

I notice I haven't posted in a while, and seeing as we're coming into the busiest week of the year for the type of business I'm in, I figured I should write something while now, while I have the chance.

For the past two years now, I've gloated about not working in retail anymore - how wonderfully stress-free it all is - how amazing the holiday hours are in the municipal ad private sectors of the community - blah blah blah. But alas, I strive on stress, and this past three weeks as a diamontologist at Christmas-time has proven to be an increasingly wonderful experience.

I love the adrenaline rush of the sale, and especially in selling the product I do, which surprises even myself on a near-daily basis.

I'm such a geek; have been since I was about 6. It used to be that I primarily sold computers, televisions, stereos, batteries, and connectors...oh the connectors I've sold! I liked the work fine...at times, I'd say I even loved it.

However...

I sold my first carat Canadian Diamond the day before last, and as a whole, it was the best sale I ever made. It's not that I made a high commission on the sale, or even that it made my numbers look good for the week. In reality, I've sold computers at twice the cost of said diamond. The difference lies in that the computers I sold way back when are probably worth about $35.00 now, but the diamond I sold the other day will still be worth $4000.00 in ten years. Mayhaps more.

It's like I've always had a passion for retail and sales, but that fire has always stopped at the product I was pushing. I now have found something I can really believe in. Something that appreciates instead of depreciating... and hey! It's Canadian! Not made in Japan, but mined, cut, and polished in Canada. Who can argue with that?

Anyway that's all I have to blog about at the moment. All the positive stuff. There are negatives to my work, but it's best not to concentrate on those at the moment, I think. I'm sure there will be a time for several pages of rant during and/or after boxing week.

3 comments:

Suzi said...

Canadian diamonds? Why, I had no idea that Canada had diamond mines. I may have to rethink my anti-diamond policy. I'd better be quick about it, huh? The Referee only has one week to shop!

Congratulations on your first big sale. That's exciting!

Idiot on a Stick said...

Diamonds? Why have I not heard about this diamonds thing before, hmmm?

I love diamonds. I need diamonds. And, more importantly, can you get me any kind of deal on diamonds :)

Canadian Mark said...

Suzi: In fact, Canada is one of the five largest diamond producers worldwide. Canadian diamonds are known for their exceptional (non)colour and clarity.

And high price. :-)

jafer: 6 months financing! No payment, no interest, no defferal fee... Seriously. You don't just need diamonds, you want and deserve them.