Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happiest New Years Ever

No amount of baby books, meditating with the force, or hanging around my sister's kids could have prepared me psychologically for the following moment:



She's really truly here. After 4 hours of intense labour she came out into this world the good ol' fashioned "through mommy's bits" way. It was 8:50 PM on New Years Eve when it all happened. My little girl shares a birthday with Jacques Cartier - one of my favourite discoverers. :-)

Where I feared I might be squeamish, I was actually quite amazed at the beauty of the whole process. I watched everything - beginning to end. I wasn't able to catch her, as there was a risk of all sorts of things since she was 4 weeks early. Nevertheless I did "cut the cord" of a healthy, strong, 6 pound, 5 ounce baby.

Cutest. Baby. Ever.

5 comments:

Queen of Light and Joy said...

Congratulations!! Can't wait to see more of her. :) Tell Mom "Good job."

Idiot on a Stick said...

Congratulations! That's fabulous. I'm glad to hear that she's healthy, even though early.

Now you're going to start rethinking the way you do everything - never mind the baby proofing of the house.

Suzi said...

You are in for the ride of your life. Hang on, and have fun! Congratulations!

Derek said...

Congratulations to the both of you!...Sorry..The THREE of you!!!

I hope both mom and baby are doing well.

You two are going to be amazing parents. Enjoy your family.

btw... I had faith that you would do great in the delivery room. I have never known fear to upstage the beauty of birth.

Canadian Mark said...

Thank you for the wonderful wishes everybody. This was the most perfect bookend to 2007, and now it seems we start a completely new chapter in everything.