Sunday, December 23, 2007

Relax. Think. What would Obi Won Kenobi do?

It's Christmas Eve eve now. Only 7 more shopping-hours left, and I'm on full force tomorrow.

Only not really.

If you missed the memo, I'm about to be a dad to a little baby girl. Soon! I love her already, and once I see her for real... once I cut that umbilical cord... I'm done for. I just know it.

I still haven't really decided if maybe I want to "catch the baby". Does one need training for that? I'm more calm in extreme situations than I am in normal circumstance, if that makes any sense. It's the way I roll. Does that somehow qualify me?

Does it mess up the birth plan if I decide now, only weeks (days?) away, that I do want to catch my baby? I kind of just decided on this idea only moments after starting this post, to be honest. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind by morning, as this is also the way I roll.

All I know is I'm very torn about being a good daddy and selling a carat before tomorrow is done. Well, not really torn... It would be just swell if the little one can wait till the new year, but if that's not the case and we get an extra special Christmas gift this year, my loyalties, or rather priorities, lie with my daughter, through and through.

As for the nonsense-conflict of yesterday? It never mattered in the first place, and so has no impact on the now.

Perhaps I am Jedi, after all. If maybe only a little bit.

3 comments:

Suzi said...

I don't know why something that is none of my bizness matters so much to me, but I really really really really really want to to catch that baby girl. I just think that would be such a nice, safe, warm beginning to her life, to arrive into her daddy's big, strong, protective hands. I could almost admit that the thought of it gives me a little lump in my throat, if I didn't think that admission would wreck my snarky online persona.

Derek said...

Well....If you aren't Jedi yet, then you are certainly ready to face the trials. You've come a long way. I think you'll do very well for you and your family. I know you have a lot to look forward to, and will have tons of fun along the way.

Unknown said...

I think we can talk to the midwife... I don't think it matters if you decide right up until the moment when she's comin' out. I haven't even talked to her about our birth plan stuff yet since it's all so up in the air as to where I'm going to deliver. However, you probably WILL have to hope for our homebirth should you decide to catch, because I don't think the hosptial would be on board with it.

This post is hopefully not a prophetic one though - it's 2:50am and I've been up for half an hour with contractions that are about 4 minutes apart and WAY worse than I've ever felt (everytime I have one I feel like I'm going to be sick). They don't hurt so much as feel like someone is squeezing me really really hard.

Stay in there little girl!! 2 more weeks to go!!